Happy Thanksgiving, a few days early! I love Fall tablescapes that utilize fruits and vegetables, it brings back fond memories as a child making Cornucopia's. Now as an adult, what I really like about this practice is that my decorations transform into treats. For instance, the pumpkin used here for the Homemade Pumpkin Butter was purchased at Halloween. Since Mike and I didn't carve jack-o-lanterns, the pumpkin was still firm therefore I was able to cut it down, cook it, puree it, and turn it into Pumpkin Butter.
This was my first time making Homemade Pumpkin Butter. I can't believe how easy it was to prepare. In my research I found out that it's okay to refrigerate Pumpkin Butter for 2 to 3 weeks, but it SHOULD NOT be canned, which is a little alarming to find out. Here is a link which explains the safety reasons why to avoid that practice: http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/pumpkin_butter.html.
I hope you enjoy time with your family this Thanksgiving!
"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever!" 1 Chron 16:34
Ingredients for Pumpkin Butter
- 4 cups of pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar- packed
- juice of 1/2 of medium lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
Directions to make Homemade Pumpkin Butter
- Wash pumpkin, cut off top, then remove seeds. Carefully slice pumpkin into 3 inch sections, then remove outer skin. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- In a large stock pot, add pumpkin (1/2 to 3/4 full). Add 1 to 2 tsp of salt, cover pumpkin with water.
- Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, then reduce to low heat. Cook about 15-20 minutes until pumpkin is fork tender.
- Drain water from the pumpkin. Fill blender halfway with pumpkin. Remove stopper in blender lid to allow steam to escape, cover with towel. Blend until smooth. Repeat until all the pumpkin is blended. Place in a large bowl or resealable bag. May refrigerate for 2 weeks.
- Place 4 cups of pumpkin puree along with the other pumpkin butter ingredients into a 3.5 Qt saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes, while continuing to stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with a lid, cook for at least one hour. Stirring about every 20 minutes. This should be a thick consistency, if too runny, continue to cook.
- Allow Pumpkin Butter to cool before transferring to glass storage container. Will keep in the refrigerator for approximately 2 weeks.