For some reason Mike has been craving pumpkin bread. In all the years that I have known him, I don't recall him ever eating pumpkin bread, so it was a shock to hear that he wanted me to make some for him. Not a problem since I have a few bags of made from scratch pumpkin puree in the fridge and freezer.
This recipe is super simple to make, and while it is baking the aromas of pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg are divine. I had to dust this recipe off, since it was tucked away in one of my recipe binders. This Cooking LIght recipe dates back to 1995! After making this pumpkin cranberry bread, you'll learn that this recipe is a keeper. Moist, not overly dense, and only 160 calories per slice. A slice of pumpkin cranberry bread would be perfect with some yogurt for breakfast or on it's own as an evening treat. Enjoy!
CLICK HERE for a printer friendly recipe. Make one loaf (9" x 5" pan).
Ingredients for Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup (96g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 and 3/4 tsp pumpkin spice* (*To make pumpkin spice combine 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. Use a fork to combine)
- 1 cup of fresh or canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup of almonds or pecans, chopped
- cooking spray
Directions for Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
- Preheat oven = 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl place the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir together with a fork to remove any lumps.
- In a medium bowl, place pumpkin puree, oil, vanilla, and egg whites. Use a whisk or spoon to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until mixture is moist. If using canned pumpkin, you may have to thin the batter by adding 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water. Fold cranberries into the mix.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray. Pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the top of the batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F on middle rack for 60 minutes. Check the bread by inserting a wooden stick into the center of the loaf, when removed the stick should be clean. Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to cool on a wire rack.