Last Wednesday a committee that I am on was scheduled to meet. In the previous meeting, it was mentioned that the upcoming meeting would fall on one of the committee member's birthday. In light of that news, I decided to make cupcakes. Since this committee is small in size, I wanted to be sure to make something everyone could eat. Well, that lead me to making a vegan dessert. This was my first conscious attempt at a vegan recipe. This recipe is based off of a very old recipe developed during the Depression era. I did reduce the amount of oil by half and substituted the remaining oil with unsweetened applesauce and replaced some of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour.
Unfortunately our meeting last week was rescheduled due to the snow, but the cupcakes did not go to waste. Mike graciously offered to take them to work the next day. He said the vegan's and non-vegans in his office really enjoyed them, even requesting the recipe.
The cake was very straight forward to make, add wet ingredients to dry then mix. The frosting was easy too. The only trick is to refrigerate the coconut milk overnight in order for the solid and liquid to separate. I did some research on Pinterest and found that most people recommend Thai Kitchen brand of coconut milk. They said it was the fluffiest right out of the can, which seemed to be true. Don't run out and eat the whole can of milk thinking it's soooo much healthier than butter, because actually it contains a high amount of saturated fat (12 g per 79 mL = 22%= one serving). It's still less fat than a stick of butter, but it is something that should be eaten in moderation :)
If you are looking for a cupcake that is safe serve to dairy intolerant friends, this is a must try recipe. I'll definitely will be making this recipe again, just for the fact the cupcakes were moist and rich tasting. I hope you will enjoy these vegan cupcakes as well! Here's to food and gladness!
CLICK HERE for a printer friendly recipe. Make one dozen cupcakes.
Ingredients for Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbsp 100% cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp organic, unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup water
Directions for Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients. Whisk together.
- Into the same bowl add the wet ingredients. Using a spatula or an electric mixer, blend together until dry ingredients become moist and no lumps are visible.
- Using a 1/4 measure, pour batter into lined cupcake tins. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 17 minutes. Toothpick inserted should come out clean when done. Allow to cool 30 to 60 minutes prior to icing.
Ingredients for Coconut Milk Frosting (vegan)
- 1 can of coconut milk (14 oz- I used Thai kitchen organic brand) ; refrigerate overnight to separate the solid and liquid
- 1 Tbsp of powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
Directions for Coconut Milk Frosting
- Open the chilled can of coconut milk. Spoon out the coconut cream into a medium bowl. Save the coconut water to make a smoothie the next day :)
- Add powdered sugar and cornstarch to the cream. Using an electric mixer, beat on high for 5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer into a piping bag with a large star tip and frost the cooled cupcakes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.